Service Animals Overview
This article offers a basic introduction to service animals and key things to know about them.
The ADA and Service Animal Handlers
What should a service animal handler know about rights and responsibilities as a when they go into the community with the animal?
The ADA and Service Animals
Summary: What’s a service animal? The answer depends on the situation, and this FAQ article explains the basics.
The Spirit of the ADA and Your Business
If you are merely complying with the ADA to meet a legal requirement, you’re missing the true purpose—or spirit—of the ADA.
The ADA and Transportation Providers
Consider why accessible transportation is so important and find an overview of requirements for public and private transportation from the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Service Animals at Work in the Human Workplace by Joe Zesski and Angela Winfield
Is it mandatory to allow service animals in the workplace? This is a tricky question. And, like most tricky questions, the answer is it depends. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if t...
- Service Animals and Social Media (My Lassie Moment)
By Chris Sweet In June of 2018, Sarah Aswell a freelance writer and comedian posted an article titled “If a Service Dog Approaches You with...
- All the Buzz About Emotional Support Animals
By Chris Sweet When I provide technical assistance to our various stakeholders that call into the Northeast ADA Center, a rec...
- No Dogs Allowed? Service Animals at Work
One of the most frequently asked about topics at the Northeast ADA Center is service animals. Often, these questions relate to service animals in businesses and public spaces; or about the right to ha...
- Service Animals in Housing
Often, when a person feels that their rights are being infringed upon relative to their disability, the first thing that comes to mind is the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA). While t...
- Topic 6. Getting talent Recruiting and hiring people with disabilities
Tips for Leadership Disability issues during hiring can be complex. This topic addresses the role of managers and supervisors in hiring in the simplest way possible. Because managers and s...
Downloadables (Fact Sheets, etc)
- Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals Are Not the Same
An infographic titled "Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals Are Not the Same" featuring a picture of two dogs. Service Animals are covered by the ADA to bring into public establishments. Emo...
- Q&A - Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals in Single Family Homes Used as Vacation Rentals: ADA and FHA Implications
- Key Facts About Service Animals for Disaster Shelter Workers
Disaster Shelters must permit a person with a disability to be accompanied by their service animal, even if the shelter has a “No Pets” policy.
- Service Animals
- P&R - Animales de Servicio y Apoyo Emocional en Unidades de Vivienda Unifamiliares Alquiladas para Vacaciones: Implicaciones para ADA y FHA
Ask About The ADA
- Do I have to pay for an interpreter for every patient who is Deaf?
Q: I am opening a new dental practice. Do I have to pay for an interpreter for every patient who is Deaf? A: Covered entities must provide aids and services when needed to communicate effectively wit...